SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#263274 - 05/16/09 12:53 PM Re: Podium 10" or 12" ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So why the Yorkville's, Fran?

Me, I've never heard anything that can throw a decent sub kick out there through an 8" speaker at anything other than cocktail levels. My Mackie HR824's have 8" woofers, and sound VERY deep and full at nearfield distances and volumes. But I wouldn't DREAM of using them for a 100+ crowd in a medium room, unless MAYBE I was doing cocktail, background music for the elderly... (which wouldn't even involve sub kicks and even low end)

Personally, I would take your own advice... Don't be so SURE

#263275 - 05/16/09 01:36 PM Re: Podium 10" or 12" ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
So why the Yorkville's, Fran?

Me, I've never heard anything that can throw a decent sub kick out there through an 8" speaker at anything other than cocktail levels. My Mackie HR824's have 8" woofers, and sound VERY deep and full at nearfield distances and volumes. But I wouldn't DREAM of using them for a 100+ crowd in a medium room, unless MAYBE I was doing cocktail, background music for the elderly... (which wouldn't even involve sub kicks and even low end)

Personally, I would take your own advice... Don't be so SURE

But Diki, that is the point...I am sure..

As I mentioned before ..the gig I am playing this week..I am only using a pair of 802's..I boost the bass eq at the mixer for my keyboards...and as I said before I am using the 802's at half the capable volume...There are usually around 300 people in attendance..

I never said it would out perform the Yorkville system, but in this venue..the 802's are all we need..

BTW: We did a serenade last night (a South Philly tradition for the bride to be)..we had a whole block closed off to traffic..like a block party..

We used the Yorkville set up, and 802's for monitors....There were several other singer/musicians at the serenade...and they asked about the 802's...so I shut down the Yorkvilles, eg'd my keyboard channel, and pushed the 802's....Their jaws literally dropped after hearing the 802's..pushing bass and overall volume...

So, really ..I am too sure..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online